Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Summer Blues (In the Dining Room)


 Hot days, sunshine, blooming hydrangeas... it felt like it was time to bring some summer inside.  

I remember when I was newly married and we were living in our first home, I couldn't wait to start decorating and changing things around seasonally.  I don't make as many changes now, but I still feel the same way.  There's nothing like making a few little changes each season to make everything feel fresh, clean and homey again. 

 


Fortuitously for me my husband needed to get his hair cut one morning we were out running errands, which gave me the perfect excuse to quickly walk through a couple of my favorite antique stores which are practically next door.  ;-)  I found three perfect blue transferware saucers to swap with the brown for summer. 


It's funny how making one small change can bring out similar colors that are already there, like the blue gray painted wood and blue dishes in the cabinet.  

(One of the many quirks of living in an old house is having certain things expand and refuse to close as the weather gets hot... like this cabinet door.)

 I love that the hydrangeas are just starting to bloom.  Every spring I look forward to these blue and purple blossoms! 


Happy (almost) Summer to you!  

21 comments:

  1. Oh.... I'm ready to come home now. A week vacation is too long to be away from you and the girls! Those plates are so gorgeous. Glad your hydrangeas are blooming now too! See you in just 3 days! - Mom -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dining room looks..."fresh":) That is the word that came to mind...does it make sense?
    I love hydrangea blooms as well. Ours won't bloom until July and they are pink:)
    Summer is lovely everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Hope you are doing wonderful. Miss keeping in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! Funny thing: our house was built in 1988, not so old, but in the winter several of the interior doors won't close all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks pretty! I like the blue flowered tablecloth. Our peonys are starting to bloom now. Fun to make a few little changes. Happy summer!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so pretty! Love your blue and white dishes and your hydrangeas. Mine are just turning blue. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love the simplicity in your house. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blue and white is so very beautiful in your kitchen....your kitchen always looks so fresh and tranquil...love it all and that tablecloth is so very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely Andrea...and the blue, of course, says perfection to me. My hydrangeas are almost in bloom too but not quite. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love your dining room!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love blue and white for summer time too, Andrea. Your new plates are darling! Most of my Hydrangeas are in bloom. I'm waiting for Sweet Summer and Limelights, as they are beginning to bud. I see that you share my love of Hydrangeas and dishes :) Deni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your home and style- so cozy! Love the antique plates and blue flowered tablecloth. Noticed the vintage books on the old painted white table. Can't make out the book titles- what are they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh- I love the color and as much as I love a white fireplace mantle I think yours is perfect in that setting. Great choice-it looks wonderful.
    Decorating Dining Rooms

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hydrangeas have been a favorite of mine forever. I was able to cut some pretty blue ones from my yard last week and bring inside. Your dining room looks really cheerful with the touches of blue!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband inherited that same pattern from his grandma in Indiana. It was my first introduction into vintage patterns. Now I'm always on the look out to find more vintage items to use in our home. It has become a family treat to find that great deal on something from the past that we can use in the present. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty, Andrea. Your hydrangeas are gorgeous and I love your pretty tablecloth too! It's so true that a few little changes can make everything seem new and fresh again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dining room is very well decorated, looks very cozy and fresh. And hydrangeas are one of my favourite flowers, they are very beautiful :)
    Carpet cleaning Croydon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dining room is just beautiful!

    Sarah
    www.WisconsinWomanWrites.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dining room is just beautiful!

    Sarah
    www.WisconsinWomanWrites.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your dining room looks so lovely and fresh! I love those old house quirks! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign